las gui

Sir

I want design my own gui & have some difficulties about the velocity template langage.

1)How to pass variables from one .vm page to other  .vm page?

2)plz tell me how the file single_nav.vm is executed when las is run for the first time.
Especially how the following lines of code means.what files they call etc.

#if($template_name == "variable.vm")
#else
#end

3)in the file variable_body.vm from where  the dataset variables  are displayed on the las gui when click on a particular datasets.

4)can we use someother langauges to create gui instead of velocity?

5)If i want to change the las gui only the  down part of the vm_global_library.vm is important which contains that banner?
What are starting lines of the code means?

6)How to interpret following lines of code of variables_body.vm

#set($firstItem=$thisCategory.get(0))
#set($category=$firstItem.getCategory().getParent())
#set($include=$category.getVariableInclude())
#set($include_header=$category.getVariableIncludeHeader())

Bhushan