RE: ParseLex

Hi Adam,

maybe you've already seen this, but here's an email I sent to the list awhile back about problems I was having with the ParseLex package. I think with test 4 the problem is the test itself, not the ParseLex package.

Cheers,
Andrew

<begin old email>

I had some troubles getting the ParseLex package installed and wanted two point out to little errors I found in the ParseLex-2.15 available from cpan. The package from cpan is assumably the same as what is included in the LAS 6.4.1.0 installation that I'm working from, but went ahead and grabbed the source from CPAN to make sure I wasn't running into problems with the LAS distrobution of the package.

I've found two small errors in the ParseLex-2.15 package that were preventing me from installing it on my Fedora 3 linux machine. I'm assuming that they would affect other platforms as well, but I haven't seen any talk of it.

In $ParseLexHome/lib/Parse/Template.pm there's two errors. The first is on line 1, 'use strict' is missing a simi colon.
The next is on line 501, the variable $expr needs to be declared as a new variable by adding 'my' in front of it.
broken: $expr = $1;
fixed : my $expr = $1;
For me, that moved the make test from 0% passing to 85.71% passing.
Maybe the older versions of the perl interpreter were ignoring these little errors and the new one doesn't? Who knows.

The other error appears in t/test4.t and it looks like it is being caused by a change in the perl output from whatever version of perl the test was created for to the version I'm running (perl 5.8.5). The details are the same, but the formatting is different.

I read a bit about a patch for ParseLex-2.15 included in LAS, maybe I'm duplicating those efforts?

Cheers,
Andrew

Software Engineer
MBARI