LAS Password Protection

Hello All,

To satisfy the data access policy for my project I need to require a logon to
my LAS site (anyone can get a password, we just need to keep track of everyone
that accesses the site).  I saw "Adding password protection" in the FAQ at
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/FAQ/password_protection.htm but this
does
not work and seems to apply to version 5 and below.  I'm running LAS 6.3.  Can
anyone tell me how to achieve password protection with this version?

The following is what I put in Apache httpd.conf (which doesn't work):

-----
Alias /las "/usr/local/las/las/las_servlet/jakarta/webapps/las"
<Directory /usr/local/las/las/las_servlet/jakarta/webapps/las/>
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    Options +ExecCGI
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2/.auto_pass/.auto_pass.txt
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName 'WTF-CEOP members'
    AuthType Basic
    <Limit GET POST >