accessing dods files

Hello,

please, could anyone help me resolve the following problem ?

I installed LAS on a Linux-RedHat9 platform.
I configured it to serve a DODS file: 30' topography from a DODS server
on NOAA web server.

When I try with a browser to access this file, I get the following error
message:

=========================
yes? go std_initialize
"http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/data/PMEL/smith_sandwell_topo_v8_2.nc";
"1" "1" "rose"
  ** netCDF error: Invalid Argument
  is this a CDF file ?
 set data
"http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/dods/nph-dods/data/PMEL/smith_sandwell_topo_v8_2.nc";

 Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted
==========================

When I start a ferret session (under user "root") and load the file
manually, using the above "set data" instruction, it works.

I assumed LAS did not work with DODS because environment variable "HOME"
was not defined. Then, I added a definition in Ferret_config.pl for
ENV{HOME}.
    $ENV{HOME} = "/usr/local/las/server";
But this not fixed the problem.

In Ferret_config.pl, there is also a line that defines a DODS config
file
    $ENV{DODS_CONF} = "dods/.dodsrc";
this file does not exist though its directory does exist and LAS server
has write acces to it.
Is it where the problem is ?

Could anyone help me ?
thanks