1,000,000+ files in LAS menus

Hello All,

I have 3 types of data to put on my LAS system - in-situ, time series data f
rom model outputs, and satellite.  The satellite scenes are from various typ
es of sensors from JAXA, NASA, ESA and Eumetsat.  I currently have over 10,0
00 satellite scenes among 12 satellite data types, and I expect the number t
o approach or exceed 1,000,000 before I'm finished.  These satellite scenes
are 250 by 250 km centered over 36 globally distributed Reference sites wher
e in-situ data is recorded.  The scenes are lat/lon gridded data at from 11
x 11 up to 1,000 by 1,000 pixel resolution (in the 250 x 250 km scenes).

How can I put so many files in the LAS menu system?  The satellite passes do
 not fall at a regular interval of x minutes, so I assume the times will all
 have to be listed individually somehow.  I would use the exact time listed,
 along with other menu information, to create the file name for the file wit
h the data from that particular pass.

My only idea now is to create a menu page with Year/Month selections during
the over 3 year data time period, as follows:
2001, July
2001, August
2001, September
etc.
Each Year, Month selection would point to an xml  file where the actual time
s of the satellite passes individually listed in the axes section, and would
 show up as a selection list on the map applet page.

My menu page series looks like this (from first level to lowest level):
Satellite (vs. In-situ and model output time series)
      Sensor (e.g. SSMILowFrequency)
            Frequency band
                  Location (select one of the 36 Reference site lat/lon loca
tions)
                        Year, Month (e.g. 2003, January)
                              Final menu page (Map applet page) shows a list
 of the actual time of the satellite passes)

I assume this would work (if not please tell me).  Any better ideas?  If som
ething better already exists please point me to the location if its online.

Obviously, it would be a huge help to find a better way.

Thank you,

Ben