Re: insitu_setup bug fix & CVS repository question

Michael,

Thanks for delving into the code. Another user has been having problems with the longitude ranges in in-situ plots. I will be looking into that code before our upcoming release of LAS 6.4. Starting with LAS 6.3 you specify the longitude domain inside of your dataset configuration (.xml) file with the <lon_domain> property. The code has smarts to adjust for -180:180 or 0:360 values. The Ferret scripts and templates also need to account for the longitude values that Ferret assigns to the region of interest. Clearly there is a problem somewhere but supporting all users may require more smarts, not less. We'll get it resolved in this next release.

As for CVS access -- Anonymous access has been shut off as a security issue but we can open it up to you if you send us the PI address of the host you'll be accessing CVS from.

-- Jon

Godin, Michael wrote:

Hello all,

I had been having problems displaying any of the scattered data plots that used Longitude, particularly Overview plots and Profile Location plots.
A look at the code for insitu_pie_xy.tmpl indicated that the plotting code took account for modulo longitudes by issuing the polygon command twice, once for the longitude range, and again for the longitude range + 360. However, the insitu_setup.jnl code was always adding 360 degrees to negative longitudes. So for my North American plots at negative longitudes, nothing was appearing. A minor modification to the insitu_setup code seems to have cleared up several of the difficulties I had been encountering...

I simply commented out line 121 in insitu_setup.jnl:
!let jlon = IF jlon_ GE 0 THEN jlon_ ELSE jlon_+360

and modified line 129 in insitu_setup.jnl from let jlon = IF xax GE 0 THEN xax ELSE xax+360
to let jlon = xax ! IF xax GE 0 THEN xax ELSE xax+360

With these minor changes, the RDB outputs are looking quite nice.

I think I have also found the problem in the server-side Java that is limiting the non-applet map tool to integer-only lat/long regions. However, I don't think I have the latest Java source, and the CVS repository indicated in the installation documents does not appear to be on-line. Is the jaguar.pmel.noaa.gov server still available?

Cheers, Mike