install issues for version 6.3

Hello All,

I just completed a somewhat unusual install and would like to share a couple of minor issues that came up.

The environment is:
LAS 6.3
apache 2.0.49
existing (non-bundled) tomcat 5.0.24
RHEL 3
virtual host "las.ngdc.noaa.gov"
LAS files owned by user other than apache
mysql on separate host

1) the database hostname was given to the install script and the database "las0" and user "las" were created. However, the las user was only given permission to connect from the database host - not the las host. Also, we prefer to grant access permissions in the mysql db table, not the user table.

2) I needed to create the webapps/las/velocity.log, grant permissions for tomcat to write, and restart tomcat

3) We have perl modules installed in system space, in a local directory, and in the LAS install. I needed to add the local perl library locations to LASserver.pl

4) an exception thrown by the non-applet map tool seems to have been resolved by adding "-server -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx512M -Xms512M" to the tomcat JVM options.

Thanks to the LAS team for all their hard work!

-- john

John Cartwright
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6284
John.C.Cartwright@noaa.gov