Re: LAS Errors

Peter,

I just had a look at your excellent server and was unable to reproduce the errors you describe.  I am using IE 6.0 (6.0.2800.1106) and Netscape 7.1 on a Windows XP box.

I wish we could offer a solution for you but it is nearly impossible to debug reproducable errors occurring on remote machines.  We would need to know exactly what the user was requesting to figure out why 'ylo must be less than yhi' was issued as an error message.

As for #3, there is already code in LAS that checks for browser incompatibilities and shunts the user to the non-applet interface when necessary.

Has anyone else in the LAS community seen these kinds of problems?

-- Jon

Peter.J.Turner@csiro.au wrote:

Hi,

   I am trying to setup a LAS server to serve Sea Surface Temperature data in the Australasian region. After some hand to hand combat with the system, particularly the ferret descriptor file I have a working system http://www.marine.csiro.au/las/servlets/dataset

I still need to customize the interface; however, there are a couple of issues relating to browsers:

  1. On some browsers the world map appears completely coloured in, and in others the area of the data is shown coloured and the rest grey. Mozzilla seems to work OK on a PC, but we have two “identical” versions of Internet Explorer 6 (6.0.2800.1106) which behave differently. One displays the applet correctly and the other does not. Why is this so?
  2. We have had an external client who was able to view and download some data using ie5, and then his system stopped working and he got the message:

 LAS server error

You have encountered an unexpected User Interface error! Please click here to return to the Datasets page. If this error persists please contact the LAS administrator for this site.

The following error occurred:

javax.servlet.ServletException: ylo must be less than yhi

etc

I understand that this might be a browser compatibility error but we cannot understand why it worked and then stopped. We have tried to replicate his problems with ie5 and cannot!

  1. I note that some sites using LAS check the browser and determine if it is OK to use.  Is there code available to do this?

(http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/las/)

I would appreciate some guidance as to the best way manage these problems.

Thanks in advance

Peter Turner

Dr Peter J. Turner

CSIRO Marine Research