Re: LAS and unix browsers

Eric,

Thanks so much for your testing on these browser/OS combinations that are not available to us. There is not really an XP preference in our shop. It's just what happens to be sitting in front of several of the main developers. I'll update the FAQ with your information shortly.

-- Jon

Eric Salathe wrote:

Hi-

We're considering installing LAS server here. Since the FAQ does not list much browser support for unix(like) systems, and that would be essential for us, I did some testing using the NVODS server since it is current (LAS 6.2).

Mozilla works under SunOS 5.9 (I have Mozilla 1.1) and Linux 2.4 (Redhat 7.3/Mozilla 0.9.9 and GNU/Debian/Mozilla 1.5), but without the map applet. Mozilla crashes on Tru64 5.1 AlphaStation (our most popular platform here), but I take it that is a local problem, not LAS's or Mozilla's; I'm looking into it. (I should try Mozilla 1.6 on all platforms, but I think it is clear that recent Mozilla is fine.)

On OS X, LAS 6.2 works fine with Safari 1.2 and Mozilla 1.6 (I tried the official release, X11/fink, and Firebird 0.8). With Safari, if I click on "use map applet", it loads and works perfectly. The applet does not work for Mozilla currently. The one caveat is to be sure to turn off pop up blocking, which seems to be on by default in these browsers. This on the latest OS X 10.3, which I think is required for the latest Safari and Java versions.

I didn't check any other browsers since the free current versions work.

So in the convention for the FAQ,
OS X
Green checkmark for Safari 1.2
Yellow checkmark for Mozilla
Linux 2.4 (Redhat 7.3, GNU/Debian)
Yellow checkmark for Mozilla
SunOS
Yellow checkmark for Mozilla

Interesting that OS X is the only unixlike operating system with full LAS compatibility. I'm mystified by the XP priority in LAS. XP just isn't very common in my experience as a scientific workstation as compared to unixlike systems (Unix, BSD, Linux, OS X).

Anyway, hope this testing helps out.

-Eric

--
Eric Salathe