How to customize the ascii output format?

Hi everybody
I'm running a LAS site for mooring data. Right now the ascii data output
for one variable is in the format like below

VARIABLE : WIND_SPEED (m/second)
FILENAME : sb3.nc
FILEPATH : /home/local/ferret/go/
BAD FLAG : -99999.00 SUBSET : 145 points (TIME)
LONGITUDE: 30W
LATITUDE : 40N
Z (meters): 0
coordinates 30W 28-SEP-2003 00 6.919
28-SEP-2003 01 7.104
28-SEP-2003 02 7.295
28-SEP-2003 03 7.928
28-SEP-2003 04 7.701
28-SEP-2003 05 8.061
28-SEP-2003 06 7.856
28-SEP-2003 07 8.169
28-SEP-2003 08 8.586
28-SEP-2003 09 8.416
28-SEP-2003 10 9.327
28-SEP-2003 11 8.478
28-SEP-2003 12 9.028
28-SEP-2003 13 8.879
28-SEP-2003 14 9.013

I need to modify the output format 1) customize the header, get rid of the Z(meters) information
2) add some customized words into the header
3) list the dat using the following format, ideally tab seperated
Day.Hour(local) Year_Day Wind_Speed(m/sec) Wind_Direction(deg)
9/25/03 0:00 131.23 4.2 32
9/25/03 1:00 131.27 3.8 30

After reading Ferret.pl, I found the output ascii data is produced by std_list.jnl file, using the statements REPEAT/l=($lmin):($lmax):`lchunk` REPEAT/k=($kmin):($kmax):`kchunk` REPEAT/j=($jmin):($jmax):`jchunk` (list/append/file($format)/j=`j`:`jtop`/k=`k`:`ktop`/l=`l`:`ltop` ($theVar); CANC MEM/ALL)

Now my question is how to customize the ascii output data? I have two options to choose.
1) use Ferret to generate the output I need? Is it possible? Or is it difficult?
2) use the Ferret script and the same ascii output. However, modify Ferret.pl, use perl to work on the ferret ascii output data and generate the output I want?
Anybody can help me? Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot, Ding