RE: dataset xml file

Hi Joe,

Thank you for clearing that out. I am a bit puzzled though. If there is no
capability to create "real" netcdf files by quering a database from a perl
script, what are the benefits of using LAS Relational Database Access? The
reason for the question is that giving the facts, it appears using LAS RDBA
is not more efficient or quicker than just creating netcdf from ascii files
generated from the RDB.

Enils Bashi
Programmer - Chesapeake Bay Program
Veridyne Incorporated
Annapolis, Maryland: (410) 267-9833
www.chesapeakebay.net

Hi Enils,

addXml.pl will not work on a NetCDF file created using the LAS Relational
database access instructions.
Item No. 7 of the instructions reads, "You will have to construct the
dataset
configuration file by hand"

There may be a misunderstanding concerning the way this custom code works.
When a request is sent to the LAS product server, custom.pl reads the data
from
the RDB and creates these unique NetCDF files on the fly.  These files are
then
used in the custom Ferret scripts (item number 3 of the instructions lists
these) to create the LAS output.  The files contain neither gridded data nor
COARDS compliant metadata.

LAS prefers COARDS compliant NetCDF files.  COARDS
(http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html) conventions
state
that dimensions defined in the NetCDF file must be associated with a
coordinate
variable of the same name as the dimension.  AddXml.pl expects to find this
coordinate variable.

Joe

Enils Bashi wrote:

> Dear LAS users,
>
> I am trying to configure LAS with a MySql RDBMS. I successfully created a
> sample netcdf files following the instructions on
> http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/FAQ/relational_database_access.htm.
> When I try to create the dataset xml file I get the following:
>
> [root@nutria server]# ../xml/perl/addXml.pl --out_inc
> ../xml/perl/template.xml bishopville.xml bishopville.cdf
> **File: bishopville.cdf
> Dimension index doesn't have a coordinate variable at
../xml/perl/addXml.pl