Re: Q: user and passwd protection

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Bob Yu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Anyone has done the passwd protect for the LAS? I tried to do so , but not success. Any hints?
>
> This is what I did:
> 1) create a users (user, passwd)  file using htpasswd, under /etc/httpd/conf/users
> 2) insert these lines in httpd.conf:
>
>      <Directory /home/yuy/las>
>           AddHandler cgi-script .pl
>           Options +ExecCGI
>           AuthName "LAS restricted data"
>           AuthType Basic
>           AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/users
>           require user yuy
>      </Directory>
>
> where /home/yuy/las is the LAS directory I want to protected.
>
> I got java exceptions when tried it.
>
> additional question: The httpd passwd protection is for apache
> service, not the servlet service. Therefore, before the very end step
> of displaying data at LAS when apache server is not touched yet, the
> passwd protection can not be applied. Is that right? If so, is there a
> way to protect the servlet service?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> (Bob) Yunyue YU
> Code 971, Goddard Space Flight Center
> Greenbelt, MD 20771
> (301)614-6850  yuy@nemo.gsfc.nasa.gov

The way I did it was to use:

<Directory /usr/local/src/lasxml/ui/>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   AddHandler cgi-script .pl
   Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

Then I put a .htaccess file in the /usr/local/src/lasxml/ui/ directory
that looked like:

AuthUserFile /usr2/WWW/passwords
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "access to OMG LAS Server"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
require user las
</Limit>

Then I used htpasswd to add a password for user "las" in the password file
/usr2/WWW/passwords.

This makes it so anyone going to this LAS directory at all will be asked
for a password.  I haven't tried this with LAS 6 yet though.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Steve

P.S. I'm sorry if someone else has already answered this.  One of our
campus email servers is lagging quite a bit and I'm still receiving email
from this morning.  It will be a few hours before it has caught up.

 Steve Cousins                 Email: cousins@umit.maine.edu
 Research Associate            Phone: (207) 581-4302
 Ocean Modeling Group
 School of Marine Sciences     208 Libby Hall
 University of Maine           Orono, Maine 04469