Re: satellite data

Jean-Francois,

By default, LAS tells Ferret to create graphics using the Ferret 'FILL'
command which smoothes the data by interpolating.  When there are a lot of
missing values this sometimes results in unattractive results.  You can use
the 'Output Options' page to request that the graphic use 'Contour fill style
= raster'.  This results in Ferret using a 'SHADE' command to plot the
colored map.   This should give an accurate representation of the data and
may look a whole lot better for swath data.

You can specify which graphic properties to use by default on a per variable
basis in the dataset configuration files:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/FAQ/per_variable_configuration.html

I would agree with your assessment, however, that Ferret and LAS need some
improvements in the realm of satellite data support.  Unfortunately, we've
never been funded to explore the possibilities.

-- Jon