satellite data

Hi all,

The response to my last posting about time series was so informative
that I'd like to seed the group with another, more general question:

Can anyone offer pointers about working with satellite data?

We have some new contacts considering adopting LAS/Ferret/OPeNDAP for
working with level 1, 2 and 3 satellite data and I have precious little
advice to give them.  Any suggestions about formats, translating
servers, alternative back ends, etc. would be most helpful.

-- Jon