Re: Best strategy for long-time series

Hi Yingshuo,

Just for the record, if you want to add your own metadata to GDS datasets, you can do so by providing a supplementary DAS file: http://www.iges.org/grads/gds/doc/tag-ref.html#dataset

- Joe

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 11:53 AM, yingshuo shen wrote:

jennifer,

   gds is doing a great job with grib and other binary files on aggregation.  caron's aggregation server can do things that gds is not able to such as adding some metadata (during aggretation aggType="JoinNew") and also it can aggregate remote data (via DODS type).   These two OPeNDAP servers are becoming apdrc data service infrastructure (http://apdrc.soest.hawaii.edu:9090).  i am looking forward to seeing the release of caron's NCML and it might be able to help us to put hdf file on to our OPeDAP service.

----- Original Message -----
From: jma
To: Jonathan Callahan
Cc: Jean-Francois PIOLLE ; las_users@ferret.wrc.noaa.gov ; John Caron
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: Best strategy for long-time series

I agree with Shen Yingshuo. It would work if you put the SST data behind a GrADS DODS Server (GDS) and then serve the GDS data set via LAS. Grads can handle the aggregation of the 3-hourly files with ease, and missing datasets and daily updates are no problem. We have similar setups here at COLA that are operational; I'd be happy to help you get started. When you open the GDS data set, only the metadata is read initially, there is no I/O until you actually make a data request. A long time series request might be a little bit slow, but perhaps not more than the LAS time-out. Jon's suggestion of aggregating the 3-hour files into monthly or daily chunks might speed things up. There are some handy netcdf operator programs that could do this pretty easily ( http://nco.sourceforge.net ).

Jennifer
--
Jennifer Miletta Adams
IGES/COLA