How to proceed with gridded 3D data?

Hi all ferret users
I have some 3D scattered point data to put into LAS. I picket one of them as sample, did 3D
interpolation on it with MatLab. After that I cut one slice of the interpolated and gridded data,
contoured it nicely with ferret. Then I realized that I was in a stage to choose how to proceed.
Should I convert my interpolated 3D data into COARDS compliant netCDF format, and then
add dataset, regenerate the user interface by following the instructions at
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/Documentation/manual/install.html#Installation_AddingDatasets?
Is this approach the best way to go on?
Is necessary for me to learn how to use ferret to interactively choose data scope and create output image?
I 'm guessing not since what I've known so far by reading LAS documentation indicates that as long as my
data is 3D gridded and saved as COARDS compliant netCDF format, I could skip ferret as ferret is hidden
behind las and everything will be handled well by LAS.
Is my understanding correct? Any suggestions or information will be highly appreciated.
Cheers, Ding

--
Ding Chi
Research Staff