Re: Mac plugin that *may* enable Macs to use the LAS applet

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 05:16 PM, Jonathan Callahan wrote:
Harry,

Thanks for volunteering to test things. The LAS site you went to with the
upwelling data:

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/las/

is version 5.x of LAS but still has the JavaScript to Java issue for Macs.
You can get around the browser sniffing on a version 5.x server by tacking
'main.pl' onto the URL. In your case:

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/las/main.pl

should bypass the browser check and let you see if the plugin works or not.
It's a pity they don't say that anywhere, really *grimace* - or am I just
hopeless at spotting hints?

Results for the above link:

Mozilla 1.2.1 - load the page then gives JS error ':0:uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException'
after clearing that it *appears* to work although I've yet to obtain any actual data.

Netscape 7.01 - gets to http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/las/main.pl?cookieCheck=1 then apparently hangs

Safari - looks great, forms, frames, etc then gives the No Java page.

The rest'll have to wait 'til Monday - sorry - got to go pick up my daughter!

Cheers

Harry

It would be a great help to us if you could also point your browser at this
LAS 6.0 site:

http://stout.pmel.noaa.gov:8880/nvods/servlets/dataset

and let us know if your browser displays the applet or not.

Thanks in advance,

-- Jon

Harry wrote:

Jonathan Callahan wrote:

Hi all,

I did a bit of Googling today and found many references to the
following
plugin developed at Apple.  I don't have a system to test on but it
looks like this is supposed to address the JavaScript to Java issues
on
Mac browsers.  It would be extremely helpful if someone could test
this
plugin for us.

  http://homepage.mac.com/pcbeard/MRJPlugin/

Also, I ran into a few comments that the HotJava browser does the
JavaScript to Java communication correctly on Mac browsers.

-- Jon
Hi,

I'd like to help - I'm running OS X 10.2 with Safari, Netscape 7 and
Mozilla all loaded. I've also installed the above plugin.

However, the data I'm after - Upwelling Index at PFEL - can't be
accessed because when I try the link on this page:

http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/products/las.html

I get the Bad Version page:

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/las/badVersion.html

Which seems to switch automatically if you're on a Mac. I guess I need
a link straight to the data, so I can disable the applet?

First post so apologies for any cultural goofs

Cheers

Harry
Ian "Harry" Harris
Climatic Research Unit