generating xml file for external DODS dsets

I'd like to generate xml include files for remotely served DODS
datasets.  Various emails and LAS FAQ entries imply this is possible,
but I believe I've still got some error in the syntax:

The data is available at:
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/JGOFS/cdm_0997-0800.nc.html

I'm using LAS v5.0 and documentation suggests:
Usage: addXml.pl [--name dsetname] [--docurl url]
                 [--out_inc] [--in_inc]
                 infile outfile NetCDFfile

further supported by LAS_users activity 26 Oct 2001 where the suggested
syntax was:
../xml/perl/addXml.pl --out_inc ../xml/perl/template.xml
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/ocean_atlas_monthly.nc

So I thought I should be able to generate the xml file thusly:
cd $LAS5_home/lasxml/xml/perl
./addXml.pl --out_inc template.xml cdm_0997-0800.xml
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/JGOFS/cdm_0997-0800.nc
Useless use of scalar variable in void context at LASDB.pm line 21.
**File:
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/JGOFS/cdm_0997-0800.nc
ncopen: filename
"http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/JGOFS/cdm_0997-0800.nc":
No such file or directory

So I tried shuffling the elements around a little:
./addXml.pl --in_inc ./template.xml --out_inc cdm_0997-0800.xml
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/JGOFS/cdm_0997-0800.nc
Useless use of scalar variable in void context at LASDB.pm line 21.

xml processing instruction not at start of external entity at line 46,
column 0, byte 1345:
</operations>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
^

<lasdata>
 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/IP27-irix/XML/Parser.pm line
185

For grins I tried a different dataset:
./addXml.pl --out_inc template.xml DODStest.xml
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/OCMIP/Abiotic/equil/NCAR_Abiotic_equil.nc
Useless use of scalar variable in void context at LASDB.pm line 21.
**File:
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/OCMIP/Abiotic/equil/NCAR_Abiotic_equil.nc
ncopen: filename
"http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/nph-nc/oce/OCMIP/Abiotic/equil/NCAR_Abiotic_equil.nc":
No such file or directory

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Cyndy Chandler
begin:vcard
n:Chandler;Cyndy
tel;cell:508-274-0283
tel;fax:508-457-2161
tel;home:508-540-4957
tel;work:508-289-2765
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://usjgofs.whoi.edu/general_info/data_management.html
org:Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry;Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
adr:;;MS 43;Woods Hole;MA;02543;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:cchandler@whoi.edu
title:US JGOFS Data Management Office
note;quoted-printable:Office: GEOSECS room 14=3B =0D=0AHours: M-F 8:30-4:00
x-mozilla-cpt:usjgofs.whoi.edu;-13472
fn:Cyndy Chandler
end:vcard