Re: virtual variable in LAS

Zhangfan,

There are two problems.

1) Each variable defined in the file jpl_have.xml must have a 'url=...'
attribute.

The 'url=...' attribute may be associated at the <lasdata>, <dataset> or
<variable> level.  If no 'url=...' attribute is defined at the variable
level then the variable inherits its url from the next level up -- the
dataset.  In your case, no URL is defined at the lasdata or dataset
level and none is defined for the 'u_v' variable.  The simple fix is to
define your variable like this:

        <u_v units="M/S" name="u v diff"
url="file:/mnt/sde1/datasets/adjoint/
Vave.des>
         <link match="/lasdata/grids/jpl_3d_grid_1997_"/>
         <properties>
          <ferret>
           <init_script>u_v_diff_inint</init_script>
          </ferret>
        </properties>
        </u_v>

2) The instructions in the FAQ are a little old.  Initialization scripts
need to do more than they used to and should be based on
lasxml/server/jnls/std_initialize.jnl  Personally, I would rename your
init script to 'u_v_diff_init.jnl' and fix the reference to it in the
xml.  The contents of your journal file should look like this:

! u_v_diff_init.jnl
!
! Based on lasxml/server/jnls/std_initialize.jnl
! 11/01

! Open the files we know we need.

set data "/mnt/sde1/datasets/adjoint/Uave"
set data "/mnt/sde1/datasets/adjoint/Vave"

! We must define var$2_grid for use in differencing.
! This grid must reference a file variable: one that actually
! exists in dataset 'dset' as opposed to a virtual variable
! created with an expression involving other variables.
define grid/like=Uave[d=1] var1_grid_

! Any extra work: defining virtual variables, regridding, etc
! should be done at this time.

let/title="u and v Difference"/units="M/S" u_v = Uave[d=1] - Vave[d=2]

I hope that this will allow things to work as usual including
regridding.

-- Jon