From: Joe Sirott
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 10:16 AM
To: McCann, Mike
Cc: las_users@ferret.wrc.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: Different grids, same axes

Hi Mike,

I agree that addXml.pl could be a bit brighter, and I've been
planning on boosting its IQ for quite awhile now. Just haven't
had the chance to get to it...

For now, I'm afraid that you'll have to either write your own XML
generation script, or edit the XML by hand. If the grids are always
the same, you might use XML includes to manage the axis data. You
could then use a combination of ncdump and some Perl hacking to
automate the generation of the XML for datasets and variables.

"McCann, Mike" wrote:

Hello LAS users (and creators),

I have a problem with a mooring data set where all of the
data are on the same time axis and the same x/y axes (actually,
a single lon/lat point).  Some of the data (e.g. adcp and
microcat string) are along a multi-point depth axis and some
of the data (wind speed, air temp) are on a single "depth"
point axis.

I would like to reuse the common axes for these data, but
addXml.pl reads the two different grids and writes duplicate
x, y, & t axis information. e.g.:

 <hourlyM3_nc_LONGITUDE type="x" units="degrees_east">
  <v>237.039993286133
  </v>
 </hourlyM3_nc_LONGITUDE>
 <hourlyM3_nc_LATITUDE type="y" units="degrees_north">
  <v>36.560001373291
  </v>
 </hourlyM3_nc_LATITUDE>
 <hourlyM3_nc_DEPTH type="z" units="m">
  <v>3.5
  </v>
 </hourlyM3_nc_DEPTH>
 <hourlyM3_nc_TIME_HR type="t" units="hour">
  <arange start="1998-03-24 00:00:00" step="1" size="17161"/>
 </hourlyM3_nc_TIME_HR>
 <hourlyM3_nc_LONGITUDE type="x" units="degrees_east">
  <v>237.039993286133
  </v>
 </hourlyM3_nc_LONGITUDE>
 <hourlyM3_nc_LATITUDE type="y" units="degrees_north">
  <v>36.560001373291
  </v>
 </hourlyM3_nc_LATITUDE>
 <hourlyM3_nc_DEPTH_10 type="z" units="METERS">
  <arange start="10" step="10" size="50"/>
 </hourlyM3_nc_DEPTH_10>
 <hourlyM3_nc_TIME_HR type="t" units="hour">
  <arange start="1998-03-24 00:00:00" step="1" size="17161"/>
 </hourlyM3_nc_TIME_HR>

If I remove the duplicate LAT, LON, & TIME tags and everything
works fine in LAS.

Can addXml.pl be given some smarts to recognize duplicate axes
and not write them out?  Is there some other approach I should
take?

My data set is at
http://dods.shore.mbari.org/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/OASISdata/netcdf/hourlyM3.nc <http://dods.shore.mbari.org/cgi-bin/nph-nc/data/OASISdata/netcdf/hourlyM3.nc>

Thanks in advance for your help.  LAS is a great product.

-Mike

--
Mike McCann   (mccann@mbari.org)
7700 Sandholdt Road