las xml specification question

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a LAS xml specification for a dataset in
which each file contains several variables at a single timestep. The
timesteps are spaced 6 hours apart, resulting in 1460 files for a year.
The timestep is encoded in the file name, as well as in an "initial_time"
attribute associated with each variable, but obviously there is no
explicit time dimension, since each file just represents a single point
along the time dimension. From reading the available LAS docs and FAQS, it
seems that I could model this dataset in the xml specification using
composite variables, but as far as I can tell, for a year's worth of data
I would need to repeatedly specify all 1460 URLs for each
variable. This seems horribly cumbersome and inefficient, so my question is
"Is there a better way?" Can a series of similar URLs be specified
using some kind of regular expression, for instance?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 -Dave Brown
 dbrown@ucar.edu