missing values not ignored

Folks,

I have a netCDF file containing 3-d model output. I have stored the
variables as short integers using the scale_factor and add_offset
attributes.

One particular variable is:

        short bfdet(T, Yt, Xt) ;
                bfdet:valid_range = -1000.f, 0.f ;
                bfdet:scale_factor = 0.01525925f ;
                bfdet:add_offset = -500.f ;
                bfdet:_FillValue = -32768s ;
                bfdet:missing_value = -32768s ;
                bfdet:units = "mg C/m2/d       " ;
                bfdet:long_name = "average bottom flux detritus" ;

When I list this variable at some longitude I get a correct representation
of the missing values (land):

yes? list/x=140w bfdet
(snip)
 74.23S / 21: -0.671
 74.47S / 20: -0.275
 74.7S  / 19: -0.244
 74.93S / 18: -0.107
 75.16S / 17: -0.076
 75.39S / 16: -0.015
 75.61S / 15:   ....
 75.83S / 14:   ....
 76.04S / 13:   ....
 76.26S / 12:   ....
 76.47S / 11:   ....
 76.67S / 10:   ....
etc

However, when I 'shade bfdet' the missing values are shaded instead of
being ignored. This doesn't happen w/ every variable, in most cases it
works fine. It seems to happen only w/ variables w/ large negative
offsets.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Denise.