How do I get at the values on an axis?

I've no doubt this question has a simple answer but I'll be damned if I can
see it at the moment.

I have several variables in a netCDF file on a potential temp. axis, theta,
which is also defined in the file. I need to do some calculations that
involve the theta values themselves but because it's being treated as an
axis in ferret I can't get hold of them as a normal variable. How can I use
theta in an expression as if it was a normal variable??

     Thanks
               Glenn

----
Dr. Glenn Carver, Senior Research Associate,
Centre for Atmospheric Science, Chemistry Dept., Cambridge University, UK
mailto:Glenn.Carver@atm.ch.cam.ac.uk   http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/~glenn/

              "I never think of the future, it comes soon enough"
                   - Albert Einstein