Ambiguous times between 2 netCDF files

Hello,

I am new to scripting in Ferret and am having trouble performing
calculations between data in two different netCDF files.  Specifically, I
am trying to get the correlation between two variables.  Even though I
have both files set up with the same number of times, the same number of
increments, and the same beginning and ending times, whenever I do a
calculation involving times from both files I get the error:
 *** NOTE: Ambiguous coordinates on T axis:TCOEF[D=1/G=TAXIS]*TCOEF[D=2/G=TAXIS]

In this case, I defined TAXIS using:
define axis/t="1-jun-1990:06":"1-jun-1991:00":6 taxis
in an attempt to put both datasets on the same time grid.  If I don't do
this I get a similar error message (whether or not I use the @asn
transform).  The wierd thing is that I'm pretty sure Ferret is able to
understand the times in each file because if I plot one variable at a
time, the axes are always labelled correctly.

The only difference between how the two files are defined is that the
units of the time variable differ.  The model output has time units of
 "hours since 1990-06-01 00:00:00 00" and the observation data
has time units of "hours since 1-1-1 00:00:00 00    ".

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make the two variables
compatible I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
   Bill

Land, Air and Water Resources