Re: Changing graticule and land thicknesses

Hi, Alice.

I have a lot of experience trying to make polar plots look readable. My
suggestions are as follows:

1) For continental outlines, try using polar_fland.jnl which uses a land
mask instead of continental outlines. Then overlay your contours on top of
that and you can see the land background without any lines that interfere
with your contours.

2) For lat/lon grid lines, I draw them in green (line=3) and then print
them using Fprint but without using the -l cps option and they come out in
a fine dotted line that is distinct from any of the contour lines. Also
try drawing fewer lat/lon lines (e.g. every 60 or 90 degrees of longitude
is adequate for a polar plot).

If this doesn't make sense of if you have any further questions you can
write to me directly.

Jennifer Miletta Adams
 US Mail:                           Office:
   c/o NOAA/PMEL                      (206)526-4532
   7600 Sand Point Way NE             Building 3, Room 2067B
   Seattle, WA  98115-0070
 Campus Mail: 			    Internet:
   JISAO Box 357941		      miletta@pmel.noaa.gov
   University of Washington	      http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/~miletta