Re: NaN number in ASCII file

Hi Xavier,
I also have to deal with this problem and, as Mark and Glenn
suggested, I use sed to get rid of the NaN and put -1.e+34
in - which is ferret's standard for missing values.

I use a little shell script which works itself through
a couple of directories and files - in this case
through all files of all subdirectories of the the
directory '1998':

#!/bin/sh
for f in `ls 1998/*/*`
do
  sed -f xx $f > yy
  mv yy $f.new
done

In the file xx there is just the edit command for sed:
cecropia.Stanford.EDU(214): more xx
1,$s/NaN/-1.e+34/g

Good luck,
Joerg

Xavier REICHENAUER wrote:

> Hi averybody !
>
> How do I tell ferret to consider NaN as missing value in ASCII file ?
> Thanks a lot for answers.

> Xavier REICHENAUER

Jörg Kaduk                              Tel.: 1 650 325 1521 x 416
Carnegie Institution of Washington      FAX: 1 650 325 6857
Dept. of Plant Biology
260 Panama Street                       joerg@jasper.stanford.edu
Stanford, CA 94305-1297
http://Jasper.Stanford.EDU/joerg/