mp_aspect problems

Hello, right now we all have ferret 5 up and running, perhaps someone could
help me.
I CAN do the following to make a polar plot...
set data Tave_con_stero.cdf
set window 1
set region/y=10:90/z=500/l=1
set grid t_ave
go mp_stereographic_north
go mp_aspect
fill/noaxis/set_up t_ave, x_page, y_page
ppl fill
go mp_land
go mp_graticule 0 360 12 30 90 15

but when I want to do a number of plots, I tried to the the following that
doesn't work.

set data Tave_con_stero.cdf
set window 1
set region/y=10:90/z=500/l=1
set grid t_ave
go portraitNxN 2 3 15 15
set viewport 1
go mp_stereographic_north
go mp_aspect
fill/noaxis/set_up t_ave, x_page, y_page
ppl fill
go mp_land
go mp_graticule 0 360 12 30 90 15

it falls down at go mp_aspect.
Please could someone tell me how to resolve the problem. I've tried moving the
order of things around and trying go margins instead but none of this works.
Thanks
Alice