problem using External Funcs in v5.0

I apologize if this is an obvious problem.

I just installed Ferret 5 in my Solaris 2.6 system (upgrading from my
tried to use External Functions before. I tried running the demo
ef_fft_demo, and I encountered the following error:

! Plot the amplitude spectrum vs frequency.

LET/QUIET FFT_uwndtim = uwnd[gt=tgrid,x=150e:130w@ave,y=20n:40n@ave]
LET/QUIET FFT_uwndfft = ffta(FFT_uwndtim[l=1:132])
 **ERROR: command syntax: ffta(FFT_uwndtim[l=1:132])
          ffta before ( is illegal
DEFINE VARIABLE/QUIET FFT_uwndfft = ffta(FFT_uwndtim[l=1:132])
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

A similar error occurred when I tried the demo ef_sort_demo.

I went back to the EF web pages, and read something about having to
install *separately* additional files, downloading EF_1.3.tar.Z and the
"precompiled utility functions". However, when I looked at my ferret
installations, a directory  called "ext_func" already exists, and it
seems to contain all that stuff.

Also, I read about having to set the environment variable
FER_EXTERNAL_FUNCTIONS to the ext_func directory; I did that, but still
get the same error.

Regards,

Emilio Mayorga
University of Washington
School of Oceanography			emiliom@u.washington.edu
Box 357940				ph. (206) 543-5334
Seattle, WA  98195-7940	  USA		FAX (206) 685-3351
http://boto.ocean.washington.edu/staff_pages/emilio