Re: Announcing Ferret V5.0: shared libraries

Hi Russel (and Rodrigo),

Thanks for the feedback on this shared library business.

Due to peculiarities of the linkers -- different on each Unix system --
the use of dynamic linking in Ferret's external functions framework has
brought along with it other shared library dependencies. On a case by
case basis we have tried to minimize these -- but some dependencies
remain.

On the Ferret Web pages we will create lists of the shared library
dependencies, so you can anticipate these before installation. And we
will continue to look for ways to force static linking.

Thanks for your patience on this issue. If anyone out there has
experience with linking static libraries while using dlsym/dlopen we'd
love to hear from you!

	- steve

--
Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070