Re: Loosing plot labels - ploting coast line

On the off chance that your questions haven't been answered yet:

The error "greadgksm()   No item is left in GKS Metafile input" usually occurs
when you ^Z (suspend) out of ferret in the middle of a session and issue an
Fprint or gksm2ps. Ferret does not automatically flush the output buffer at the
end of each plot command. Try exiting ferret completely before typing Fprint or
gksm2ps, or alternatively, use the command "ppl clsplt" to close out the
current plot.

As for question 2, which also applies to the next listserve message, you can
use your own data for plotting coastlines. Simply read in the lat, lon data and
use the plot/vs/line command to plot the results. You will probably want to add
/nolabels and /over to the command. The caveat here is that unless the
coastline is continous or you have properly defined missing values in your
data, you will have lines that suddenly jump from one section to another. For
example, after drawing Africa, the program would draw a straight line to
Australia. Refer to the land.jnl program in $FER_DIR/go

To fill in missing points in the data (as asked by Mr. P.Chitti Babu), I would
try using a bad data filler. This depends on the coastline data being defined
as one long coastline without any REAL missing values. A command something
like:

yes? plot/vs/line/over/noabels lon[i=@fln], lat[i=@fln]

Good luck!

--
 Mark Verschell                     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
 verschell@neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov    Code 970/Lab. for Hydrospheric Proc.

		     Better Living Through Denial
               ** USQC Certified: 100% Microsoft Free **