Interpolating and extrapolating along one axis.

This is probably rather trivial. None the less, it is escaping me. Suppose I
have a periodic measurement along one axis; say, temperature vs time. The
measurements were not always taken at the times needed and the record does
not run quite long enough. I need to interpolate the temperature
measurements at the missing time marks and extrapolate ten extra values at
the end of the record, based on the slope of the last few points.

How might I go about doing this?

Donald R. Newcomb
Geophysical Databases Branch
Naval Oceanographic Office