Re: ascii-grid

Kevin,

	You didn't give a lot of information so I will have to make some
guesses. When you say that you have an ascii file with only one column, I am
going to assume that you have monthly transport data at only 1 location so that
your final grid is 1D (time only). All you have to do to convert this to a grid
is define a time axis. Let's assume that you have monthly data from 1980 to
1998. The correct ferret commands would be:

yes? define axis/t="16-jan-1980:12":"16-dec-1998:12"/np=228 ttran
yes? define grid/t=ttran gtran

Some explanation: 16-jan-1980:12 and 16-dec-1998:12 are the middle of the month
for January and December. np=228 is the number of months for the 19 years of
the time series. You want to avoid explicit time steps because of the problem
of variable length years, this method give results that are always CLOSE to the
middle of the month and don't result in offsets over time. The time axis and
grids can be any name you want ttran and gtran are just examples.

Now, all you have to do is open the transport file giving the grid you just
created:

yes? file/var=transport/grid=gtran transport.dat

Mark