long units description

Greetings,

When loading some of my netCDF files, I get the following message :

 *** NOTE: attribute truncated: "units" in netCDF variable: CFC12
 Maximum characters:   24

Is the limitation of 24 characters for a unit attribute part of COARDS? I
have not been able to find it documented in the COARDS standard.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith Lindsay                              phone: 303-497-1722
Climate and Global Dynamics                fax:   303-497-1700
National Center for Atmospheric Research   email: klindsay@cgd.ucar.edu
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO  80307-3000