Ferret & random data locations

I'm still trying to decide how or if Ferret can be induced to populate a 3D
grid from data which are randomly scattered about the grid. It is slowly
dawning on me that, perhaps, if the first three values on each line of the
data file are the defined X, Y & Z variables, Ferret just ignores their
value of X, Y & Z and assumes that they recycle cycle to populate a full
grid. I just don't seem getting it.

Is there a way to have Ferret read X, Y, Z & value from a data file and then
compute the grid cell for "value" based on X, Y & Z? Am I making sense?

Donald R. Newcomb
Naval Oceanographic Office, N531
Stennis Space Center, MS