Re: Reading fortran unformatted data

Hi Chris,

Check out the documentation at
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/v44/chapter2.html#_1_45

As long as your variable DOUT is single precision floating point you
should find that

   yes? FILE/FORMAT=UNF/VARIABLE=dout/COLUMNS=`nlg*nlt*nz`/GRID=gg
myfile.unf
   yes? CONTOUR dout[l=1,k=1]    ! first time step, first Z level

does the trick, where "gg" is a 4-dimensional grid defined to match your
multiple time steps of DOUT. If the size of the grid is very large then
you may need to use the
command SET MEMORY/SIZE=xxx in advance of reading your data.

	Happy Ferreting - steve

--
Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070