Re: objective analysis & topography

Hi Keith,

You are exactly correct about the behavior of the current Ferret "GO
objective" script.

Since there are so many ways to approach the "gridding" question
(producing gridded fields from scattered data) it is a prime candidate
for Ferret "external functions". With this appraoch you can take a host
of different gridding techniques (from math libraries, from the
literature, from commercial software) and embed them into functions that
will appear as part of the Ferret "language". You can then compare and
contrast the results, to help in selecting the most appropriate
technique to use.

We are nearing completion of a template external functio for regridding
-- simply plug your FORTRAN or C routine-of-choice into this template
and compile/link. ((It includes a much superior gridding technique
supplied as an example.)

Use of this template, however, requires that latest alpha version of
Ferret (not distributed). Since an earlier version of the External
Functions framework is embeddd in Ferret V4.91, I'll have to check to
see if we have a version of the gridding EF that will work with that and
get back to you.

	Happy Ferreting - steve

--
Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070