Re: Ferret Year 2000 (y2k) compliance

Hi Milton,

As of V4.91 Ferret is Y2K compliant to the best of our knowledge.

This claim is based on our having systematically evaluated the Ferret
source code and having corrected Y2K problems that we found (We found
and corrected a 2-digit year representation in the PLOT+ package.)

We did not actually test Ferret on a computer with its clock set to a
post 1-Jan-2000 date, however. If anyone does this testing, we would be
very interested to hear the results.

	thanks - steve

P.S. Actually, there is one very minor problem that we havn't yet
corrected: the date that is displayed as Ferret starts (and is also
written into journal files as documentation) may be based on a non-Y2K
Unix system call. That will be fixed in the next release.

--
Steve Hankin
NOAA/PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070