Re: GIF weirdness and passing symbols...

Hi Gary,

Regarding GIFs and 24 bit color: just a suggestion that a fallback
solutions on Unix systems is

   yes? spawn xwd -name FERRET_1 -nobdrs -out my_dump.xwd

To make this more convenient you can put this line into your .ferret
file:

   DEFINE ALIAS MY_FRAME spawn xwd -name FERRET_1 -nobdrs -out

and then simply use

   yes? MY_FRAME my_dump.xwd

----

Regarding symbol passing: I suspect the complication is that the label
in question has embedded blanks. You need to make sure, then, that the
passed label is always enclosed in quotation marks. e.g.:

test.jnl:
 say $1
 go sub_test "$1"

sub_test.jnl:
 say And from the sub-script: $1

now try:
 yes? can mode verify   	! makes it easier to read this example
 yes? set data coads_climatology
 yes? set mode calendar:days	! nicer time label for monthly data
 yes? contour sst[l=1]

 yes? go test "($lab4)"
 TIME : 16-JAN
 And from the sub-script: TIME : 16-JAN

You can use the following syntax
   yes? go test "($LAB($LABNUM_T))"	! see chapt 7 of UG
to avoid the reference to a specific label number.

	Hope this helps - steve

--

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744