Re: GIF weirdness and passing symbols...

Gary,

A possible answer to your first question -- my guess is that you are
running Ferret on a 24 bit visual and, unfortunately, the only way to
get a GIF out of Ferret on a 24 bit visual is to use "ferret -gif."
Alternatively, you could run Ferret on a 8 bit visual.