GIF weirdness and passing symbols...

OS            : Solaris 2.5.1
ferret version: Version 4.91 - 05/19/98

Up until very recently, when I did a "frame/file=whatever.gif", I could view
the GIF with xli or xv. Now both complain that the gifs are bad. Also, unless
I run unmapped ferret in "ferret -gif" mode, the right and bottom edges of the
GIF are clipped. I'd really rather avoid running ferret twice, once for meta-
code and once for GIFs.

Also, I haven't been able to figure out how to pass symbols to scripts - what
I'm trying to do is pass label 4 (the one with the timestamp in it) to a "sub-
script" so I can place it somewhere other than its default location (among
many other things in the main script and "subscript" too).

I've tried defining new symbols, grave accents, regular accents, dollar signs,
and I'm stymied.

Thanks!

--
Gary Strand