reading NetCDF output files from GMT

Hi all,

I've been playing with generic mapping tools (GMT) trying to create a
gridded bathymetic data set.  I've had partial success, but cannot read
the new grid into ferret.  GMT outputs data in a NetCDF format which I
thought was self-descriptive, but ferret doesn't seems to be getting
enought information about the grid.

Has anyone been able to read NetCDF files output from GMT into ferret?
Alternatively, is there a way to define the grid before I 'use' the
NetCDF file, like I would do to read in an ASCII file.

--------------
Here's the error message I get:

yes? use data.grd
yes? sho data
     currently SET data sets:
    1> ./data.grd  (default)
 name     title                             I         J
K         L
 X_RANGE                                   1:2       1:1       1:1
1:1
 Y_RANGE                                   1:2       1:1       1:1
1:1
 Z_RANGE                                   1:2       1:1       1:1
1:1
 SPACING                                   1:2       1:1       1:1
1:1
 DIMENSION
                                           1:2       1:1       1:1
1:1
 Z        surface                          1:1519    1:1       1:1
1:1

yes? list Z
 **ERROR: dimensions improperly specified: Z
--

Thanks in advance,
Liz

Elizabeth L. Dobbins
Research Scientist
JISAO/PMEL
phone: (206) 526-4581

"Keeping your eyelids closed, turn your face towards the sun
 or lamp, and move your head slowly from side to side, up and
 down, in diagonals, in circles.  Feel the light warming your
 eyes, loosening your muscles.  Breathe."
      -- Computer User's Survival Guide