netcdf & v4.9

I am getting different behaviour from v4.45 and v4.9 (and v4.91b) when reading a netcdf file.  v4.45 correctly inputs variables stored as 2 byte integers and resonstructs values using the scales and offsets stored in the file for each variable.  v4.9 does not.  It  reads the raw data and leaves it as is (i.e., between -32768 and 32767).  Is this a known difference?   If it is, what do I need to change to get it to work?  If it's a bug, please fix it.
--
http://www.oar.com

begin:          vcard
fn:             Donald S. Dunbar
n:              Dunbar;Donald S.
org:            Ocean Applied Research Ltd.
adr:            1864 Duchess Ave.;;;West Vancouver;BC;V7V 1R1;Canada
email;internet: dsd@oar.com
title:          Physical Oceanographer/President
tel;work:       604-925-9570
tel;fax:        604-925-9580
note:           http://www.oar.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0