trouble with X-server

Hi all,
I've installed ferret 4.9 on our sun ultra-2 :
SunOS cecropia.Stanford.EDU 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
and it seems to work fine on there - go tutorial ran without complaining

However when I try to run it off that machine via the X-server on my PC
I get:

yes? go tutorial
... setting up demo environment ...
The display must support an indexed visual
gopenws()   26 Specified workstation cannot be opened
gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the
state WSOP or in the state WSAC
gsetdeferst()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the
states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
....................... (and some more like that)

My vague idea is that it might be related to different colour schemes:
the X-server on the PC uses true colour, I'm not sure about what ferret
does in this case.

Any ideas, suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Joerg

--
Jörg Kaduk                           phone:  +1 (650) 325 1521 ext 416
Carnegie Institution of Washington   fax:    +1 (650) 325 6857