Problems with v4.90

I've just updated to ferret v4.90 on a Linux v2.0.2 system. Everything
seems to be working fine except for the following problem.

If the X server is set to run at 16 or 24 bpp TrueColor, the following
happens:

[6:17pm]~> ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        Program FERRET (GUI)
        Version 4.90 - 11/21/97
        26-Nov-97 18:17

yes? set win
The display must support an indexed visual
gopenws()   26 Specified workstation cannot be opened
gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the
state WSOP or in the state WSAC
gsetdeferst()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the
states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetlinerep()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the
states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
(and lots more lines like the one above)

Ferret cannot open any windows and so I can't visualise any plots!

If I set the X server to 8bpp PseudoColor, everything works fine. However,
the release notes say this version is supposed to support up to 24bpp. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Rodrigo

---

Rodrigo Caballero Augi (rca@gfy.ku.dk)
NBIfAFG/Geophysics, Juliane Maries Vej 30, DK-2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark.
tel: +45 35320561 | fax: +45 35365357 | home: +45 31230580.