re: erroneour NetCDF time axis

Hi Barbara,

There are two approaches to straightening out your time axis: fix it on-the-fly
in Ferret or fix it in the NetCDF file.

To fix it on-the-fly in Ferret you need only define the CORRECT time aix and
then tell Ferret to "associate" this correct axis with your variable through
the use of the "@ASN" transformation. Example follows:

  yes? DEFINE AXIS/T="1-jan-1981:12:00":"31-dec-1985:12:00":12/units=hours t12
  yes? LET corrected_var = var[GT=t12@ASN}

Now use "corrected_var" instead of the original "var". Since the association is
**by index** Ferret will not try to use the wild and wooly time values in the
file.

To fix the NetCDF file you will need to go back to your code that converts the
data and figure out why at each pass through the loop the code is incrementing
by a power of two. My guess is that this will be pretty simple to find, but I
can't offer any specific guidance.

	- steve

--

		|  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin	|  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744