Ferret crushes on Solaris

I am having problems running Ferret on a Solaris machine. I installed the binary distribution (is there a source distribution available ?). It crashes with a segmentation fault with all the netcdf files that I try to use when it tries to display the image. Is anybody running it successfully on a Solaris environment ? It crushes both in OpenWin and Motif environments.

I am running Solaris (SunOS Release 5.5.1) on  a Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2 X UltraSPARC 168MHz).
I think the version of Ferret is 4.4.2 (the latest on FTP site).

Thanks,

Ion  Mateescu