accessing repeat loop index

How does one access the CORRECT value of a REPEAT "index", say, for
example, to display it as a string?

Example:  I have 3d data defined over (lon,lat) and a Z axis from 2
to 4 at intervals of 0.5.  A repeat command such as

REPEAT /Z=2:4:0.5 (FILL R)

where "R" is the variable name, works just fine, and displays 5
successive plots of R, at Z=2,2.5,3,3.5,4.

However, trying to access the actual value of Z within the REPEAT
loop appears impossible.  For example,

REPEAT /Z=2:4:0.5 (LIST Z)

produces:

REPEAT: Z=2
         axis ABSTRACT
         Z:2
      2.000
REPEAT: Z=2.5
         axis ABSTRACT
         Z:2
      2.000
REPEAT: Z=3
         axis ABSTRACT
         Z:3
      3.000
REPEAT: Z=3.5
         axis ABSTRACT
         Z:3
      3.000
REPEAT: Z=4
         axis ABSTRACT
         Z:4
      4.000

There appears to be some sort of rounding going on.

Can anyone tell me how to access the correct value of the "index"?

Thanks.

*   PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF OUR RECENT AREA CODE CHANGE     *
*   		WE ARE NOW AREA CODE 253                *
STEVEN HODGE, Geophysicist, Ice & Climate Project
Alaska District Office, Water Resources Division
U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY
University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA 98416
Shipping/overnight: 1206 N. Lawrence St, Tacoma, WA 98406
Voice: 253-593-6516                     Fax: 253-383-7967