Re: limit on coordinate?

Hi Bertrand,

With version 4.4x of Ferret (and earlier) Ferret's ability to grid irrigular
data is, indeed, limited. You could play heuristic games like gridding one half
of the data into one grid and the other half into another grid and then
averaging the two -- the result could give you something close to the correct
field though not valid from a statistical point of view.

Version 5 of Ferret will have a full-fledged facility to define objective
analysis and gridding procedures. That is a few months away (too soon to give a
firm date). Meantime, I recommend that if your gridding needs are exacting you
use code external to Ferret to create gridded fields for Ferret to work with.

One code that comes to mind is a public domain utility from Unidata called
"ncbarne" (a NetCDF utility). Have a look at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ to
find that. Other users may be able to recommend further alternatives.

	- steve

--

		|  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin	|  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744