Re: 2 decimal digits on colour key

On Aug 20,  4:46pm, shankar@csnio.ren.NIC.IN wrote:
> Subject: 2 decimal digits on colour key
> Hi,
> I'm unable to get FERRET to write the colour key to two decimal digits (for
> example, 30.25); it writes only one digit, rounding off the last one (30.3 in
> the example).  How can I get it to write 30.25,30.50,30.75, etc.?
> (The additional argument in /LEV works only for contours; asking for 2
> digits in /LEV does not change the colour key.)
> The FERRET version I am using is 4.45 (on Solaris 2.5).
> Regards, Shankar.

The problem is that ferret defaults the length of the key label to 4 places, in
fortran your key labels would have a format of f4.1, this is done to prevent
overly long labels. This can be overridden.

Modification of the color key (oops sorry, COLOUR key) is accomplished through
the shakey command. This is a PPLUS+ command and is only given brief mention in
the ferret manual. However, if you refer to the PPL+ manual (in your
$FER_DIR/doc/pplus_enhance_user_guide.txt or
$FER_DIR/doc/pplus_enhance_user_guide.ps you can get help on this topic.

In brief, if you want a 2 digit colour key you need to issue the following
command:

ppl shakey ,,,,-2
   or
ppl shakey ,,,,4

-2 refers to the number of decimal places, while 4 refers to the number of
significant digits. I think that these two will do the same thing in your
example. This command once issued will apply to every shade or fill command
issued in the current ferret session, so if you want to revert to the default
state you need to issue the command

ppl shakey ,,,,3

One last unfortunate thing, you will notice that your labels will now be 30.25,
30.5, 30.75 etc... There is no good way currently to have ferret append
trailing zeroes, also you can't get plus signs or blanks in front of key
numbers so that negative and positive labels don't line up. When I absolutely
have to have this, I turn all the key labels off and label the key myself using
LABEL commands. I have often thought about writing an automated .jnl file to do
this for me, but have never gotten around to it. Maybe some bright young
programmer out there will take on the challenge and then submit the results to
the ferret community.

Mark

--
 Mark Verschell                     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
 verschell@neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov    Code 970/Lab. for Hydrospheric Proc.