I'm confused - unformatted I/O ?

Hi everybody,
this a potentially stupid question, but I don't have much experience
with ferret and I'm somewhat confused:
I have an unformatted file written from FORTRAN with a couple of fields
in it. I thought to have a look at it, the following should do:

yes? define axis/x=1:72:1 lon
yes? define axis/y=1:44:1 lat
yes? define grid/x=lon/y=lat csu

yes? file/format=unf/grid=csu/var=tc,dt1,dt2,dt3
"/home/joerg/sib/sib2/data/ECM
WF/test/fort.35"

looking at the data seems fine:

yes? show data
     currently SET data sets:
    1> /home/joerg/sib/sib2/data/ECMWF/test/fort.35  (default)
 name     title                             I         J         K         L
 TC       TC                               1:72      1:44      1:1       1:1
 DT1      DT1                              1:72      1:44      1:1       1:1
 DT2      DT2                              1:72      1:44      1:1       1:1
 DT3      DT3                              1:72      1:44      1:1       1:1

However, shade does not work and crashes with complaining about
formatted I/O - did specifying format=unf not work - or does it not
work as I naively expected:

yes? shade TC
sfe: [102] formatted io not allowed
logical unit 62, named '/home/joerg/sib/sib2/data/ECMWF/test/fort.35'
lately: reading sequential formatted external IO
part of last data: |^@^@^@^D^@
Abort

The file is unformatted. and it's not written via direct access.

I have to add that there are more data in that file...

Any directions anybody?

Thanks very much
Joerg

--
Jörg Kaduk                                phone:  +1 (415) 325 1521 ext 416
Carnegie Institution of Washington        fax:    +1 (415) 325 6857